Dating sites in thames valley
A substantial house on the site, perhaps dating from the early 17th century, is known to have formed the core of a building destroyed by fire in 1961.
This may be supposed to have been built by alderman John Whitlock, who owned the manor at least by 1628.
The first of these, at 5 Townsend, was conducted in 2011 and uncovered evidence of the development of the late Saxon and medieval village.
The findings showed that this period of occupation was followed by a time of abandonment before reuse in the post-medieval period.
The core of the house was then extended and the gardens were re-landscaped, either at the same time or at least prior to 1909, to include a sunken lawn, a pond and several outbuildings, greenhouses and cisterns/wells.
Subsequent phases of use in the 11th-13th century included the presence of rectangular post-built structures.Cartographic evidence from the 18th and early 19th century shows a larger complex of buildings on the site which included a brewhouse.The central portion of this house survived while the remainder of the complex was comprehensively demolished between 18.The fieldwork revealed predominantly prehistoric occupation with the Middle Bronze Age through to Middle Iron Age being the principal periods represented by clusters of pits and postholes followed by enclosures and small areas of fields.The area was overlain by a series of Roman field boundaries which commenced early in the Roman period but had gone out of use by later Roman times.
Over the winter of 2012/13, two small excavations side by side revealed a surprising density of medieval pits and ditches, giving the first indications of the medieval layout of the village, with origins apparently in the 12th century, and little that need be later than the 14th century.